Speaker: Todd Averett, President, Leading People Partners, LLC.
Summary: Are You a Strategic HR Leader?
Challenges to being “Strategic”
Objectives and overview of session:
Practice #1: Thinking like a Strategic HR Leader
• Thinking-behavior-results chain
• Examples of how strategic HR leaders think
Practice #2: Becoming a Student of Your Business
• Deeply understanding business strategy and context for business (competitors, industry, etc.)
• Deeply understanding your business (how your business works and operates)
• Development strategies to become a student of your business
Practice #3: Becoming a Student of the People Side of Business
• Building an HR specialty “home room”
• Developing knowledge and experience in Strategic Talent Practices (Organization Design, Leadership
Development, Workforce Forecasting and Planning, Building Employee Engagement, Leading Change, and Strategic Performance Management)
• Consultative and Problem-solving skills
• Development strategies to learn the people side of business
Practice #4: Developing and Proactively Communicating Talent Insights
• Quantitative and Qualitative Data-examples, sources of data
• Telling an insightful, evidence-based data story about Talent
Practice #5: Aligning People Strategies with Business Strategies
• 4 Alignment Phases
• Application questions and examples
Practice #6: Modeling the role of a trusted business partner
• The Building Trust model
Challenge, conclusion and wrap up
Biography: Todd Averett has been fascinated by the challenges associated with Leading the People Side of Business for over 20 years. He was most recently Vice President, Global Human Resources for a global, multi-billion dollar retail company with over 25,000 employees. There he held progressively responsible positions, ultimately leading the global HR teams located in the US, China, Canada, Latin America, and Australia. Todd has played key leadership roles in acquisitions, divestitures, international expansion, organizational restructures, and cultural change initiatives, working closely with both business executives and HR professionals to ensure that HR strategies and practices were aligned with business strategies and results. Todd’s experience in hiring, coaching, and promoting HR professionals in multiple countries over many years has provided him a unique perspective on what strategic HR leaders really do.
Todd has partnered with and coached many leaders at all levels of the organization, including the C-level, to better lead the people side of business. Prior to working in retail management, Todd worked in the Learning and Development function at Brigham Young University, where he received a Master’s Degree in Organization Behavior from the Marriott School of Management. Prior to his master’s degree, he received his Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, with an emphasis in Organizational and Personnel Psychology.Todd can be reached at email@example.com or 785-478-0023.